- For some, the final act might qualify as "mildly entertaining"
- Extremely predictable and boring storyline with cookie-cutter character development
- Instantly forgettable characters
- Loads of uncomfortable fat-shaming jokes
- Weird and occasionally mean spirited sense of humor with an unclear target audience
- Overall entirely unnecessary and devoid of substance
- So, Paul Blart getting left by his wife and his mother getting run over by a truck is supposed to be a funny intro?
While the first Paul Blart Mall Cop was certainly far away from being a masterpiece, it was nevertheless a movie that was overall watchable and at least had a clear idea of what it wanted to be.
With Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 however, we got a sequel that even struggles to justify its very own existence.
The first Paul Blart Mall Cop movie was a very self-contained little story that absolutely didn't need any expansion whatsoever. Therefore, Paul Blart Mall Cop 2's extremely boring and predictable storyline full of forgettable characters comes off as one of the most unnecessary sequels in recent memory.
Even worse though is the fact that the movie's humor is surprisingly mean spirited for some reason. Along with a ridiculous amount of fat-shaming jokes and "Kevin James falling over things", Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 very often seems to mistake "depressing and mean" for "funny". It all comes down to the entire movie being a big, boring and occasionally uncomfortable feeling mess of a supposed comedy with no clearly identifiable target audience.
In the end, Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 therefore perfectly fits to Kevin James' other theatrical misfires like the Grown Ups movies, and is another big indicator that a successful career for Kevin James probably lies in TV sitcoms like King of Queens rather than feature films.
Final Verdict: 1 out of 10